Monday, September 05, 2011

Summer of Classics

This summer I decided to make my own reading list, a so-called Summer of Classics Reading Challenge.  I made time to spend reading, rather than lazing on the couch watching mindless TV after work/dinner/housework.  I reachd out to friends and family for recommendations, and focused on the classics.  Here's how I did:

Finished:
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
This was so much fun - I can't wait to read it with Laura!
The Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas
I love action-adventure-romance novels!
The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling
Another great one to share with Laura!
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Countess Orczy
More action-adventure-romance - this time with a little farce!
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
Action-adventure-romance, but with a much darker side.
Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence
Not my favorite book.  Ever.  But glad to know that Lawrence isn't for me.
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Absolutely beautiful.  Inspiring and beautiful.
Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
Fun and uplifting.  It's lovely to cheer for the main character!

This was such a fun way to keep up with reading over the summer.  I hope to do another reading challenge next summer, again focusing on the classics!  And while I might not make a big deal of it, the fall I'll be catching up on some children's literature that I missed the first time around.  I just need to find a copy of A Wrinkle in Time to get me started.

No comments: