Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ries ate the Easter Bunny

Well... Ries didn't exactly eat the Easter Bunny, but she sure did eat a lot of kibbles!
I've always felt that Easter was a holiday of excess. We deprive ourselves of sweets, soda, red meat - you name it! - for forty straight days. Then gorge ourselves the moment we are sure that Christ has risen, and the Easter Bunny has filled our baskets with treats. Do forgive my sacrilegious sarcasm. Even with all my funny feelings about religion and the church, I believe Easter to be the holiest of days.

There is something wonderful about Easter. The flowers are blooming. Little girls don pretty pink dresses. And Reese's comes out with egg-shaped peanut butter cups. Oh yeah, and we remember that our sins were forgiven by one cool guy.

But back to the excess. While Nate and I filled our hungry tummies with ham and pirogies, Ries decided to partake in the festivities. Somehow she got into a bag of kibbles and ate who knows how much. I knew something was up when I tried to feed her dinner and she turned her nose up at it. My dog - my Riesling - turn down food?! Impossible. That girl never says no to a little smackeral of anything. Well, my suspicions of binging were proven on the car ride home. I turned around to make faces at the dog - and saw the pile. A pile of puke. On the seat of my car. Riesling, upset and confused, turned to me for comfort. I wanted to give her hugs, but she started to look like she was gonna puke - ON ME - again. I threw her head the other direction, and yup. She puked. This was the most pleasant car ride I've ever been on. I keep hoping that Ries will learn from her mistake, but she's back to eating everything she can get!

Happy Easter to all. Let's raise our peanut butter cups to a beautiful spring, and dreams of sugary excess next year.

No comments: